James focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and counseling in a wide range of industries from analog circuits and computers, to telecommunication systems, to medical devices and pharmaceutical. James has over 20 years of experience as an intellectual property trial lawyer, including as a partner at Fish & Neave and Ropes & Gray. James has litigated and tried patent, trade secret, trademark and copyright cases in district courts from coast to coast as well as in the United States International Trade Commission, the Court of Federal Claims, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- J.D., (magna cum laude) University of Michigan Law School (1992)
- B.A., Biochemistry (Honors), University of California, Berkeley (1988)
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the George Washington University Law School
- Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court (former officer)
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Roderick R. McKelvie, U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Fish & Neave LLP
- Honors Program Trial Lawyer, U.S. Department of Justice
- State Bar of California
- District of Columbia
- Northern District of California
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- Yamauchi corp. v. Albany International Corp.
- Rockwell International v. United states
- Finic, B.V. v. United states
- Bradley v. Chiron, et. al.
- Xilinx v. Altera and Altera v. Xilinx
- Varian v. Lam • Varian v. Applied Materials
- Rockwell International v. Corning
- Linear Technology v. Impala et al.
- Texas Instruments v. Linear Technology
- Crystal Semiconductor v. Opti, et. al.
- Linear Technology v. Micrel
- Elonex v. Compaq Computer
- Compaq Computer v. Emachines
- Fore Systems v. MMC
- Ronald a. Katz Technology Licensing v. Verizon Communications
- Motorola v. Vtech
- Motorola v. Research in Motion
- Samsung v. Spansion Japan, et al.
- LG Electronics v. Quanta Computer
- Ampex v. Kodak
- Auction Management Systems v. Live Global bid et al.
- Oscar de la Renta v. YSL Beaute, et al.
- Lincoln National Life Insurance Co. V. Transamerica Insurance Company
- Isostent v. Shukov et al; Shukov v. Isostent, et al.
- Certicom v. Sony